The purpose of Continuous testing and continuous integration is to enable continuous delivery, the end goal of which is to accelerate the delivery of high quality software. Continuous testing builds upon automated testing which enables teams to run a large number of tests, cost effectively within a short period of time. Continuous testing, as the name implies is continuous and an essential part of effective continuous integration a core component of DevOps where application development is closely integrated with IT Operations.
What are the requirements of Continual testing?
- Teams must have a collaborative environment that enables the start of testing earlier and provides the test labs on demand.
- Continual testing provides continuous feedback which must be available to business stakeholders
- An integrated Application lifecycle management platform (integrated ALM Software) that can effectively run automated tests continually and manage quality throughout the application development lifecycle.
On large projects continuous testing can be extremely complex, so much so that it requires a lot of manual testing which may require a partial separation of testing from continuous integration.
In terms of testing tools, typically continuous testing functionality provides a far greater flexibility in how testing is carried out with a greater selection of options for running automating tests, with test ordering, scheduling and test type selection. When considering tools for selection there are several key points to consider:-
- Scalability + reliability of infrastructure
- Usability of the tool – any additional requirements?
- Consider your current test bottlenecks, and consider the additional complexity of running tests continuously, -does the tool resolve these issues / potential issues?
Continuous testing with codeBeamer ALM
For continuous testing codeBeamer ALM utilizes one of the most popular open source automated web testing tools, – Selenium. We use Jenkins (an open source continuous integration tools) for the test run of the test case and for continuous build. The combination of Selenium tests, Jenkins – codeBeamer ALM integration and test management features ensures a seamless integrated environment ideal for continuous testing and reporting back to stakeholders.
Checkout the codeBeamer ALM feature list and learn more about Test management in 8 minutes: