Aerospace & Defense - Safety and Software Driven Innovation
As in many other industries a great part of innovation in aerospace & defense relies upon software which introduces new challenges and constraints next to the existing ones. Rigourous safety standards are in place for all software in airborne systems and also for the development process and related tools. This challenges development and engineering organizations to make aircrafts and their equipment safe by process. The well-known guiding standard to achieve this goal is called RTCA DO-178B, also known as EUROCAE ED-12B in Europe. Software in compliance with this standard is categorized according to different safety levels and therefore determines different levels of documentation and review. In short, DO-178B is not intended as a software development standard, it is about software assurance regarding planning, development process output, verification and quality assurance as well as configuration management. Furthermore, the intention of DO-178B was not to be prescriptive. Therefore, there are many possible and acceptable ways for a real project to define these aspects.
codeBeamer supports DO-178B in defining and executing all processes uniformly across all product development lifecycle artifacts. Requirements-based development , independent verification, ubiquitous traceability as well as a strong emphasis on change and software confguration management enable teams to live repeatable processes and provide accurate audit trails.
codeBeamer for Aerospace & Defense
- Requirements Management (RM) With codeBeamer RM you can systematically manage initial and changing requirements for your software or hardware project. codeBeamer RM not only lets you specify, organize and document your requirements, but also serves as a central information repository for requirements attributes, status information and associations to tests, source code or regulatory documents.
- QA Test Management (QA-Test) QA & Test Management module helps you to define Test Cases, to compose Test Sets and to execute tests on multiple hardware and software configurations. It gives full traceability by associating tests with requirements and releases. It enables test result data drilling with coverage analysis and customizable dashboards.
- Regulations and Standards Compliance codeBeamer’s wide range of security and process workflow features are designed to comply with regulations and standards defined by the FAA and EASA which demand to apply DO-178B respectively ED-12B for the software development process.
- Best Practices and Repeatable Processes codeBeamer’s customizable workflows and processes can easily be configured to support your company’s standard operating procedures. Repeatable processes assure higher product quality, less errors and reduced project costs.
- Security and Approval Workflows codeBeamer provides project- and role-based security features. Projects serve as secure working environments where access permissions can be set on different layers and granularity. Freely customizable approval workflows with optional electronic signature ensure that important documents and specifications are reviewed before being published.
- Link Requirements to Tests and Derive Actionable Work Items Clearly specifying your requirements is only the beginning of the work. codeBeamer will also help you to connect actual feature requests, change requests, tasks, defects and test cases to the requirements captured. Both the requirements and the actionable work items can be organized into hierarchies in order to better model the problem domain.
- Baselines Using baselines you can make lightweight snapshots of the whole specification, including wiki pages, documents, images, attachments and all other types of artifacts. This is the primary means for versioning the states of the rapidly changing requirement specification, along its evolution. The baselines are optimal for comparing two states of documentation, computing deviation between two states, for audit purposes, and for certification for an approval.
- End-to-End Traceability Due to codeBeamer’s flexible data model and artifact linking capability, the whole lifecycle of your product can be precisely tracked from requirement capture phase, through development and test, until release.
- Configurable and Extendable codeBeamer is not a static platform. Intland intended to build flexibility into the product right from the beginning by offering configuration for workitem data types, workflows etc. in a graphical user interface to adapt to an organization’s need and not vice versa. Using its API (Application Programming Interface), codeBeamer can be easily extended beyond this configuration level, customized and integrated with your own applications, third party tools and services.
- Lower Costs codeBeamer’s features for requirements management, design control and document management ensure early detection of errors, following of best practices and therefore reduce the overall costs of the project.